Friday, November 20, 2009

The Illusion of Hotel California...

I’ve loved this song since I first heard it…I must’ve been in JSS 1 or so...Loved it without questioning it for a while…the rhythm gets me going anytime o’ day…till I really listened...Curious…Then I got really uncomfortable…Then CuriousER…it's deep…Real deep...only a few people have really bothered to listen to the lyrics…Ya know, reading between the lines. . .


“. . . .Mirrors on the ceiling, the champagne on ice, she said "We are all just prisoners here of our own device…”
With our own damn hands...
“…And in the master’s chambers, they gathered for the feast, they stabbed it with their steely knives but they just can’t kill the beast. Last thing I remember, I was running for the door, I had to find the passage back to place I was before…”

Rehab…

“Goodnight!” Said the night man, and we are so glad to receive you, you can check out anytime, but you can never leave…”

Hence Relapse, Rehab, Relapse, Rehab…

Much to the disbelief of so many, Hotel California is about greed and the temptations of the human race particularly our urge to always spend money...Of materialism and 'beauty' of drugs hence  “...the smell of colitis (marijuana) rising up in the air..." and "the shimmering lights" they see when they are high...”her tiffany twisted mind” of course represents expensive jewelry...expensive things...

And "...a lot of Pretty, Pretty boys..." hmmm…who no sabi say they are a statutory symbol for female materialism? The analysis tire me sotey I no come dey sure weda I like the song the song after taking time to break the lyrics down walahi....It made me pity us...

''. . .we are all prisoners of our own device . . . you can check out anytime, but you can never leave…”
 See that?

The devices are winning. ..The tourniquets. ..The credit cards. . The internet…They're winning and fast too! Notice the dead end at the end of the song?

“…You can check out anytime, but you can never leave…”

And funny thing is we believe it. . .Damn shame.

We win as often as we concede to the fact that "the only competition I have in this life is with MYSELF..."

An I-dont-have-to-score-a-point-with-anybody attitude would have saved Whitney and Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presely and a lot of nameless faceless Jane/John Does who may be "irrevocably" hooked on something deadly, a damn headache…and a fortune in rehabilitation...and those parts of their lives that they've missed out on.

Death to the notion that ". . . You can check out anytime, but you can never leave. . ."


By the way, I find that I still like the song...and might I add to pieces: D



-XX


Dum spiro, spero. . .While I breathe, I hope. . . Hard one though' but I’ve got hope…

4 comments:

seye said...

Hey Hey! Good to see you on here!


I first heard about this on vigilantcitizen.com

How you dey?

Myne said...

I think I know this song but I'm not sure. Let me go and check it out on youtube to be sure it's the same one.

Spesh said...

Nice post......

Aee Bonrue said...

@ Myne, Seye, My world

Thanks for reading my rabble lol...